4.21.2009

#24. things I learned last week:

the training I went through last week was a lot about self-discovery. yes yes, and how to use the MBTI to help others with that whole self-discovery thing, but I really learned a lot about myself. here's what I've got:

1. I actually am an extrovert. I've been off and on about this for years but I've completely proven it now. I love to talk to people, meet people, work with people, do things . . . and I always have, but I used to be shy. painfully shy. really. like, wouldn't speak up in an empty room because I might disagree with myself shy. (that's because of the F part of me, if you're familiar with Myers-Briggs. I'm an ENFP. and I love it.) but dang, you tell me my job is to talk to people and I am off running and loving every minute of it!

2. I HATE traffic. there is not enough money in the world to make me work downtown and have to drive in every day. I am totally open to moving closer -- even into a downtown loft (I mean, if you're paying me, why not) -- but I cannot will not drive through that crap every single day. somewhat related is point 3:

3. I am terrible at directions. and the gps doesn't help (in fact, I'm convinced she's really out to get me. maybe she's jealous. story for another time). Rock kindly lent me Suzie, his garmin gps, so I wouldn't get lost. I also looked up and printed both mapquest and google directions. all this led me to call Rock from somewhere outside love field (north of dallas) totally totally lost. (have I mentioned that I live south of dallas? way south? and west? like, into tarrant county west?) this just made the driving part longer (and added more yelling)

4. parking garages scare the living crap out of me! for real. they're so big and strangely lit and echo-y it just creeps me out. actually, I already knew this. what I learned: an all-underground one? worse. way worse. if some creepo jumps out from behind a parked car to attack you, at least you can't be thrown off the edge, but there will be no one to hear you scream! they made a movie about this very thing (P2. interested? review here) and I refused to see it! (well, more because it looked really terrible, but still, it's the principle of the thing) scary!

so yeah, that's what I learned at my MBTI training. and all sorts of helpful stuff about team-building and leadership training and career coaching . . . but how often will I use that? really?

1 comment:

  1. I ALWAYS see someone out of the corner of my eye when I'm in parking garage - they freak me out!

    And speaking from experience, I always found the Texas roadways a bit confusing...I mean, I'd never seen a circular highway until I moved here. Couldn't understand why I ran into 360 in like 8 different places. Same in Austin. :(

    ReplyDelete